Saturday, September 6, 2008

You too can be a teacher of American Culture!


It's been a slow start here in terms of teaching duties and to be quite honest I have been lazy about preparing much. The students arrive for classes this Monday but this last week have been full of meetings where the English language featured was under 10%. I sat through one thinking "why am I here?" Between you and me, had it been in English I probably would have said the same thing.

I had my first class on Friday with the faculty of IAIN. It went well and I felt good about it. I've been itching to do some teaching so this was a good start. I had a hard time getting my brain wrapped around preparing something at first but then ultimately decided a mini lesson on giving and getting directions would be good. I based this on my own experience here in Banjarmasin. I still don't know how to ask for directions in Bahasa Indonesia and don't feel quite comfortable going out without company, so for teaching it was at least relevant to me as a newcomer.

I kept the lesson it simple, a review I'm sure for them but it built confidence. At the end I had partners role play giving directions to a famous place in or around Banjarmasin while the rest of the groups scored them like Olympic judges. At the end of this task., I decided I would give them a chance to write down a question for me that they have about American Culture and that I would attempt to answer it each week. A lighting bolt of inspiration hit me upon collecting these. I though about you: my friends, family, and colleagues who are there in America now (or other places). Wouldn't it be great to have your opinions represented? So I will post their questions for you to view and you may choose to answer as many as you like. Remember, I teach on Thursday US time so in order for me to include your opinion, I'd need your response by your Wednesday. (Just in case you didn't know, I have passed the international dateline and am enjoying the same day of the week as my Kiwi rellies). And IF you are in or from New Zealand, I'd love to include you into "Western Culture" for contrast and increased diversity. My goal by the end of my 10 months is to potentially confuse the Indonesians' current perceptions of the western cultural norms and demonstrate that there are as many perceptions on culture as there are people in the world. So here goes!

  • Do most Americans believe in ghosts? What kinds of ghost are they? Vampire or others from TV/Films?
  • What do Americans think about black cats?
  • Could you tell me about your etiquette in the American family?
  • In history, Americans like sailing/having adventures. Do they still do it now? And what is the motivation?
  • Why is racism always a topic to discuss in the American News? How is it actually the fact?
  • What is the customs for American life in winter? Is it the same or different than Indonesia?
  • Can you tell me about music and country music?
  • What kinds of clothes do Americans wear? (Keep in mind I, the teacher am dressed conservatively.)

Please explain American Culture including norms, values, beliefs, religion, what is right and wrong? (A big question that I will essentially address throughout the entire year)

4 comments:

Lara Lutrick said...

Aundi - Very interesting post and cool thoughts about American Culture. So, did the students help you ask for directions better in their language?

HMMMMM I can only answer for myself.

Do most Americans believe in ghosts? I don't know if people believe or don't, but I would guess most don't believe in ghosts, I know I don't.

What do Americans think about black cats? - Some people are superstitious about black cats and fear them, but I would say most don't. Most Americans like small fury animals.

Could you tell me about your etiquette in the American family? -UMMMM, there is supposed to be etiquette? :) I don't know exactly what the questionner is asking, but I'm going to assume s/he is asking about generational aspects. I would say that ettiquette and rules of behavior between parents and adult children (me) are informal and relaxed. For my family there are no rules or standards that are followed. ACK, I'm not answering this well.

In history, Americans like sailing/having adventures. Do they still do it now? And what is the motivation? Sailing???? Not sure about that, sure many have boats (especially where I live - Seattle), but having adventures is BIG. Adventure could be hiking up a mountain, diving in a lake or ocean, mountain biking, rock climbing, roller bladding. There are so many different landscapes in the USA that there is something for everyone. I think the motivation is that it is fun and a challenge.

Why is racism always a topic to discuss in the American News? How is it actually the fact? (Very interesting and perceptive question and of course very hard to answer). Again, I will need to answer this from my perception and it will not be that great of an answer. I think that it is always being talked about for a number of reasons. One thing that goes into this, and I'm not sure how, is shame of the way the majority (whites) have treated other races in the past (Native Americans, African Americans, Chinese, Japanese). It is quite shameful and horrible to think about. (other words, Liberal White Guilt). OK, back to the question. Why is it discussed in the media - ratings! I would like to think that the majority of Americans are not racists, but I know that a lot are (I have very racist cousins). I think people are racist because they fear what/who they do not know. Others learn it from their parents and pass it down to their children. I think with each generation it gets better. Heck, we are about to elect an African American president (I hope) and race has not been a huge issue in the election, that I have seen.

What is the customs for American life in winter? Is it the same or different than Indonesia? - Life in winter really depends on where you live. If you live in the northern USA it is cold and snowy or rainy. Outdoor activities are different (ie skiing, skating, snowshoeing - Aundi you may need to draw a picture) and sleding. In the southern parts of the country, it maybe still warm and outdoor activities are the same.

Can you tell me about music and country music? - There are so many different types of music and music stations on the radio that everyone can find what they like to listen too. Country music has really changed in the last decade, less crying in your beer type lyrics. I don't know much about this type of music.

What kinds of clothes do Americans wear? - Jeans and t-shirts are very popular. For work men usually wear button up shirts and slacks and women blouses and pants. I work in a field where I were a uniform of types - scrubs. Loose pyjama like pants and a top. Younger people may very the tightness of the pants and t-shrits and shortness of the t-shirts. I would say cotton is the most popular type of fabric. Keep in mind that this is coming from the very causal North West. I think that in the South and East, things are more formal.

Please explain American Culture including norms, values, beliefs, religion, what is right and wrong?
I don't know that I can answer this question. That is a tough one Aundi. For many people norms, values and beliefs are Christian. I think that this influences most of the country. For me it is not influenced by religion, but a system of values passed down from my parents (both of which, by the way, where raised Christian). This is a really hard one. I think that I would need more specific questions. It is too broad of a question.

Aundi said...

Thanks Lara!
Yeah, I know they are broad questions my answers to many are the same as yours. So yeah, just anything from your personal situation is great! I think it's also cool to know about what kinds of questions they have. We'll see what they ask about next week. :-)

carolina nella citta said...

Hello, Andrea! It's good to read what you've been up to and how you're settling in so far! Is there no curriculum provided (seems like you're coming up with your own lesson content)?

Regarding some of the Qs:

Belief in ghosts: I think some American do, definitely, but there are those who don't. I'm probably wrong to lump the following term along with ghosts, but there seem to be enough of an American populace that believes in spirits to create daytime programs (what's his name... John Edwards?).

Black cats: It seems black cats get the stink eye around Friday the 13ths or Halloween. Otherwise, I don't think too many people care what color a cat is.

Dress: Depends a lot on the person's age, background, purpose for wearing what s/he's wearing... but I'd say there's a lot of flesh being flashed among young women (afterall, this is a post-Britney Spears America). One thing that was brought to my attention when I was teaching in Korea was that American women show more cleavage and wear V-necks. Maybe you can teach students the terms muffin-top or plumber's crack... those are things even people in the U.S. would like to avoid! (Again, though, I think it a lot depends on where they're from and their culture-- I'd say very few people in L.A. dress like people in Berkeley, for example.)

Aundi said...

Love the muffin top suggestion! I will do it. I think I can find the fashion dos and don'ts section in some of the magazines I have here.

I am creating a LOT of what I am doing here. I am given some guidelines as to topics... some books are available and I brought enough to pay extra baggage fees on the plane.

This particular group is the faculty and it's a loosey goosey anything goes. I'm going the student centered route with it, hence the questions.