Thursday, June 5, 2008

T Minus 2 Months


I'll leave for Indonesia in just under two months and the planning and excitement is already in full swing. On approximately Aug. 25th, I'll arrive in Indonesia for a 10 month assignment teaching English in the city of Banjarmasin on the Island of Borneo. Why? Funny, I keep asking myself this question now that it gets closer (I'm just a teensy bit scared). Four months ago I would have said to have a little adventure and to understand the world and another culture a little better. This is still true but as I near departure, I'm looking around a lot more and noticing my own culture and environment, the things I'll miss and the routine that I'm used to. Maybe it's good to do this now, to kind of say good bye (or at least a "see you later") to San Francisco because Indonesia will be vastly different in many ways.

To give a little background, after graduating this year with my MA degree for teaching English, I applied for the English Language Fellow Program, a program that is run through the U.S. Dept. of State. This program places English Teachers in countries all around the world for a 10 month period where we will teach English, English teaching methods and share American culture.So, I'm going to Borneo, known in Indonesia as Kalimantan. It's the third largest island in the world with one of the most diverse species population in the world. So what's so scary about going to this exotic place (besides the comforts of home)? I can name plenty starting with malaria, dengue fever and other tropical diseases. I anticipate culture shock and, oh and did I mention, it will be hot and humid? To begin preparing for these exotic diseases and also to be cleared to leave with a clean bill of health I've turned myself into a human pin cushion (vaccinations and tests) and will have to be a pin cushion once more in another six weeks to get some follow-up vaccination boosters. YAY! Lukily I'm not the 'afraid of needles' type and the U.S. Gov has lots of information about international travel online including recommended vaccinations, warnings, visa info. etc. AND if anyone is worried about me traveling to Indonesia (or you coming to visit) Indonesia was taken off of the U.S. travel warning list earlier this year.

10 comments:

Nani said...

Yes, when I left Indonesia for "Amerika" I felt similarly: euphoric and frightened.

But if we think long term - how and why this experience will take us far in life, we might feel better.

Nani

Unknown said...

WOW!!! What exciting news!!!! Congratulations!!! What's happening to your place in SF? And all your stuff? And the cats? while you're gone.

Lara Lutrick said...

How fun. Can't wait to keep updated via your blog. Thanks for sending the link. Have a great time.

Lara

Cat said...

When would be the best time to visit? Do you have time off at all? We are definitely coming to see you (and the orangutans)!

Electronicah said...

Very exciting! :) I will vicariously travel with you. It's best that way, I snore.

Janet said...

I look forward to hearing about your adventures! Experiencing them vicariously is the next best thing to going myself!
Janet

Eileen O. said...

Good for you! I taught English for 10 days in Thailand, but 10 months - wow - you'll really get immersed in the culture.

I'll bet the scuba diving there is great!

Unknown said...

Hey! Aundi!!

Guess what!!! I made headlines in the news paper!! I was interviewed cause of my puppet shows!! Hope the picture comes out in your blog. This is NOT the whole article. It's really LONG.

Puppet masters: Friends give voice to society’s maladies at variety shows
By Jessica Skropanic (Contact)
Friday, July 11, 2008

Photo by Greg Barnette / Record Searchlight
Puppets on Parade! creators Leslie Williams, left, and Nancy Renard perform a show with puppets Ashley and Wally at Barnes & Noble Booksellers in June.

jezebel said...

Andrea, I am very proud of you! I know this took great courage! I know it will be difficult to leave behind all your loved ones, but we will still be with you, by your side :)

Unknown said...

hey cuz, I'll be reading along avidly, so have lots of crazy fun and don't die of horrible diseases, or anything else. I hate sad endings.